Well, my birthday has come and gone...now I'm 23 years old. Or 23 years young, depending on how you want to look at it. 23 is a fun number, but it's interesting how you don't really think of birthdays after you turn 21. I mean, the major numbers are 13, (I'm a teenager!!) 16, (I can drive!!) 18, (I'm an adult!!) and of course, 21...
I felt this way when I turned 22...it's rather anti-climactic, in a way. Everyone always asks, "How does it feel to be a year older?" Not that different, actually. But as Mom & Dad came into my room at midnight to wish me a Happy Birthday, I felt sad - but just for a moment. Maybe it's because I'm 23 and still living at home, which Mom & Dad insist is okay...or maybe it's because I received my tax return and found out how much I owe Uncle Sam...or maybe it's because I felt my childhood begin to slip away. This is when anyone over 40 might laugh and say I haven't seen anything yet, but in that slight moment of sadness I made a promise to myself: I will not lose my inner-child!! To stay young at heart, as they say, is my ultimate goal. I choose not to grow bitter with time - I'll age like fine wine!! Okay, enough with the cliche's...but you get the idea. My 23rd birthday came with a little slice of reality, and perhaps the rest of my birthdays will feel the same way, but I won't forget to kick back and have some fun! I hope you'll do the same.
Speaking of fun, that's the first word I use to describe my job! Right now I'm preparing a talk on the Stone of Destiny....(ooooo...ahhhhh...) aka the Stone of Scone, which I'll present during training in Vermont! I'm also prepping more commentary for the Exploring Britain & Ireland tour I'm guiding in April. The novel The Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory was rather popular this year with the making of the movie by the same title, so I think I'll elaborate on Henry VIII's mistresses, in addition to his six wives. Why not include some scandal and juicy gossip for the long bus rides?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment